The Retief family has been making wine since they bought the farm in 1937, warmly welcoming visitors to the farm house and tasting rondavel. In those years, they made sweet wines and wine for brandy. Jean Retief, a traditionalist, persuaded her husband, Hennie Sr., to name their farm Van Loveren because of her ancestral connection.
In 1699 Christina van Loveren left Holland by ship with her husband, Willem van Zyl, with the hope of a new beginning in South Africa. With her she brought her bridal ‘trousseau’ chest, which was passed down the generations and inherited by her descendant, Jean Retief . Today this chest is proudly displayed in our tasting room.
In the 60s, Wynand and Nico Retief, the sons of Hennie Sr. and Jean Retief, started making wine for wholesale. It was around this time that other farmers in the Robertson valley started bottling their own wine. This led the Retief family to start bottling their own wine. A major milestone was reached in 1980, with the birth of the Van Loveren brand. Under this brand the first 500 cases of Premier Grand Cru were bottled. It took a whole year to sell all 500 cases!